For some time, we’d been wanting a little fountain in one of our front entryway beds, a sort of zen moment of trickling water as one approaches our front door. But getting a classic planter-style container with reservoir would have cost us more than $500, and it wasn’t really my style anyway. So I wanted to see how cheaply we could make a disappearing fountain using as many materials from home as we could. We could have probably made it for $21, but we decided to be “practical” and buy a couple of other items. It actually cost us less than $40 — I rounded up for the sake of the title. I’m not counting the cost of the electrical outlet, as we were going to be putting one out there anyway, not just for a fountain, and we already had a bunch of those parts anyway.
Money spent: We bought a large tub normally used for mixing cement ($11), as well as a small 130 gph pump (about $21). We also ran out of window screen, so I bought some more aluminum screen material ($7), but the rest will be used for plant containers, so I’m not really sure whether to add the cost in — regardless, that’s still less than $40. We seriously considered not using the basin and using other items we had at home, but in the end, we decided this might be best.
Materials gathered: An old grill from our neighbor’s uncle’s junk he was having hauled off, leftover block-style rocks from our other neighbor that we had used to circle a tree in the backyard, a concrete block, and little colorful rocks we found in the backyard.
At this point, I have to give out kudos to my 12-year-old son. This was more or less his pet project, and while I gave some guidance in regard to the plan (he had some rather far-fetched ideas and I had to bring him back to Earth a bit), he did the bulk of the work.
The first step was to dig out the plants from the area and give them new homes in the front yard (that really did a lot to make our front yard better, too). And then the hole for the basin was dug. The basin we chose turned out to be ideal for the job — the rock under the soil would have prevented the use of a deeper reservoir. (Please ignore the plastic edging in these photos — it came with the house, and at some point it will go away, because I can’t stand it.)
The concrete block is there to support the weight of the rocks on top of the grill, and we stuck some rocks underneath to let water flow. The ones we settled on are in the leveling picture below.
Dad helped with the leveling (and he also got to play electrician to put in the outdoor outlet).
We wrapped the window screen around the grill and cut a little hole for the pump tube.
Then we poured in some water collected from the recent rains (the change in rocks in the images had to do with some adjustments we made regarding the pump placement).
And the rest was just building the rock feature and collecting the little rocks for the base. Simple as that! Here’s a picture of the rock work in progress…
I love that it’s a little rock statue, and while I envisioned something like it, it came out even better than I imagined. Now I just need to choose some plants to go around it! I’ll probably end up spending more on those than I did on the fountain itself…
Thank you to my son for all his hard work and dedication to getting the job done, and thank you to my husband for the electrical work that I’m sure he’ll get finished soon (hint, hint).
Now, I should point out that disappearing fountains are technically a no-no during our city’s Stage 2 water restrictions. We’ll turn it back off when water is an issue again, but right now we have so much rainwater gathered that we actually have to find a place to put it all — the grounds are saturated and the bins are overflowing. This fountain is only going to be filled with rainwater from the roof or gray water, NOT hose water. And I think it looks wonderful whether water is flowing or not, so when it has to be turned off, it’s still going to make me happy. The water just gives that nice trickling sound, and I’m hoping we’ll see some wildlife visit on occasion, too.